FREE & Low Fee Life Coaching
Learn More About Power Sessions
Is a FREE Power Session right for me?
The free power sessions are not intended to treat mental illness, habit/addictions, or serious relationship issues. If you are struggling with thoughts about ending your life, self-harm, or harming others, this isn't right for you. If you are having thoughts people are out to get you or having hallucinations, this isn't right for you. If you want to change a habit or addiction this isn't right for you. These all should be worked with longer term in mind and with a licensed counsellor or therapist. (I offer counseling in Canada only.) To learn more about life coaching vs counselling click here.
So what is it right for?
- specific mental health goals such as wanting more happiness, peace of mind, calm, or self-worth..
- dealing with challenges to these goals such as feeling inadequate, worthless, sad, down, unhappy, anxious, etc.
- to learn healthy thinking tools to deal with current painful emotions and negative thoughts.
- working through challenges as you go through any of Dr. David Burns materials, books, or podcasts.
- getting a head start on feeling better with a plan to continue with a self-help program or working with a professional..
How do FREE sessions work?
You will have to fill in a lengthy screening form (see below for link) and then we will meet for a free 20min consultation. If we decide this is the right fit for you, you then will be assigned a book to read. That must be finished before we meet for our free power session. You will also be given a DML (Daily Mood Log) to fill in (we only need one for our session together). You will also need to fill in a consent form.
Here is a full list of expectations before we meet (after the 20min consultation)
- fill in the screening form then book your 20min consultation.
- completely read the book we decide on during the consultation..
- have a follow up plan if you experience a trigger to past trauma, suicidal urges/thoughts, or other issue beyond the scope of our working together.
- do at least one Daily Mood Log (learn more here)
- fill in the consent form
- book your free 3hour power session
- we work together on your Daily Mood Log with tools to crush the thoughts that are defeating you!
- work on your own after the session to continue building on what you learned in the session. The hard work starts AFTER our session as you implement the tools.
- I may offer you a follow-up session at my discretion.
Books we work from and when it's a good choice, all of these are by Dr. David Burns. You will likely be assigned both When Panic Attacks and Feeling Great although this could change:
- "When Panic Attacks" for feelings of depression and anxiety or just anxiety.
- "The Feeling Good Handbook" for feelings of depression around yourself and the social world around you.
- "10 Days to Self-Esteem" for feelings of depression, worthlessness, and inadequacy.
- "Feeling Good" for depression. David's oldest book and tested to be as effective as drugs or traditional therapy for depression.
- ."Feeling Great" for any of the above. David's newest book, good for those that want to see how this works in real life. Lots of stories!
I'm In! How do I get a FREE session?
If you think this approach maybe right for you and you'd like to explore it further here are the next steps:
- Fill in this screening form. This form must be filled in BEFORE we meet for our consultation.
- Book your free 20min consultation if you've not done so already!
Not sure, what about your low cost options?
Perhaps you already know you won't meet the criteria for free sessions. You might want to work on procrastination, relationships, or you want to have follow up sessions for mood work. There is limited availability for weekly low cost sessions and you maybe on a 4 to 6 week wait list.
How much is the low fee rate? $120 for 50min is my standard reduced rate. I can also do what fits into your budget to as low as $50 per session for up to 8 sessions.
Like free sessions, there are expectations/criteria for getting the low fee option. During free 20min consultation we will decide on a couple books for you depending on what you want to work on. You will have to read both the books entirely before we meet, even if you have read them before. You will also need to do either a DML, Relationship Journal, or Habit Log (depending on what we are working on) before we meet for your first session.
Feel free to email me any questions about free sessions or my sliding scale for lower cost weekly sessions.